The Herbal Medicine-Maker’s Handbook by James Green
Herbal Medicine from the Heart of the Earth by Sharol Tilgner ND
Mountain Rose Herbs when I can't grow them in my own garden or wild craft them nearby. I use organic herbs as much as possible. I grind the dried herbs into a powder, or purchase them already ground from Mountain Rose Herbs.
Mountain Rose Herbs offered the following Alcohol Percentages on their blog.
40% – 50% (80-90 proof vodka)
• “Standard” percentage range for tinctures.
• Good for most dried herbs and fresh herbs that are not juicy.
• Good for extraction of water soluble properties.
67.5% - 70% (½ 80 proof vodka + ½ 190 proof grain alcohol)
• Extracts most volatile aromatic properties.
• Good for fresh high-moisture herbs like lemon balm, berries, and aromatic roots.
• The higher alcohol percentage will draw out more of the plant juices.
85% – 95% (190 proof grain alcohol)
• Good for gums and resins.
• Extracts aromatics and essential oils that are bound in the plant and do not dissipate easily.
• The alcohol strength can produce a tincture that is not quite pleasant to take.
• Often used for drop dosage medicines.
• Will totally dehydrate herbs.
After a minimum of 6 weeks, you simply pour off the clear tincture from the very top, and press the remaining liquid from the wet plant material through clean cotton fabric. You can filter the tincture again by pouring it through clean cotton fabric into your bottles.
Mountain Rose Herbs. Make sure to label these jars as well. Enjoy!!!
I know you are excited to get started making your own tinctures. Head over to Mountain Rose Herbs for their Bulk Herbs and amber colored dropper bottles.
This information is for educational purposes only, it is not intended to treat, cure, prevent or, diagnose any disease or condition. Nor is it intended to prescribe in any way. This information is for educational purposes only and may not be complete, nor may its data be accurate. As with all herbs, . Do not take internally unless working with a qualified and expert practitioner. Keep away from children. I am an affiliate with Mountain Rose Herbs,please review my disclosure page for details. . Avoid use unless discussed with your physician.